Posted by Janice on Monday, November 13, 2006 at 1:23am.
For what values of p>0 does the series
Riemann Sum [n=1 to infinity] 1/ [n(ln n) (ln(ln n))^p]
converge and for what values does it diverge?
You need to let the summation start at n = 3 to avoid the singularity at n = 1 (although you can formally take denominator to b infinity there...).
The series is divergent for all real p. do the integral test to see this: The series converges if and only if the integral
Int [x=3 to infinity] 1/[x(ln x) (ln(ln x))^p dx
converges. This is true if the terms in the series are positive and the function of x which you choose to match the terms of the series is a monotonic decreasing function, which is indeed the case here. We start at x = 3 because for n = 2 the term ln(ln(2)) is negative so for general the theorem isn't valid. But you only need to investigate a tail of the summation starting at some arbitrary n to infinity to extablish convergence or non-convergence.
If yom change varibles y = exp(exp(x) in the integral you see that the integral is:
Int [y=ln(ln(3) to infinity] y^(p)exp(y)dy
which is divergent for all p.
correction, the ln(ln(x)) factor is in the denominator and the integral is therefore:
Int [y=ln(ln(3) to infinity] y^(-p)exp(y)dy
which is still diverges for all p.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Series - For what values of p>0 does the series a) Riemann Sum [n=1 to ...
- Algebra 2 - I need steps on how to complete this please i am so confused and ...
- Calculus - Does the series (1+sin(n))/(10^n) from summation 0 to positive ...
- Calculus 2 - n=1 series to infinity (-5^n)/n^3 does it absolutely converge, ...
- calculus - The sum from n=1 to infinity of cos(npi/3)/n! Does this absolutely ...
- math - for what values of x does the series converge absolutely and for what ...
- Calculus - does the series 1/(n^2+n) converge or diverge? n=2 to n=infinity
- Calculus - does the sum e^n / n! converge or diverge? n=1 --> infinity
- Calculus - does the sum 3/(2^(n)-1) converge or diverge? n=1--->infinity
- Calculus-PLZ HELP! =) - does the sum 3/(2^(n)-1) converge or diverge? n=1--->...