Posted by Gina on Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 8:44pm.
What is the theme of this poem:
He seemed to know the harbour,
So leisurely he swam;
Like a piece of sheet-iron,
And with knife-edge,
Stirred not a bubble
As it moved
With its base-line on the water.
His body was tubular
And as he passed the wharf
And snapped at a flat-fish
That was dead and floating.
And I saw the flash of a white throat,
And a double row of white teeth,
And eyes of metallic grey,
Hard and narrow and slit.
Then out of the harbour,
With that three-cornered fin
Shearing without a bubble the water
That strange fish,
Tubular, tapered, smoke-blue,
Part vulture, part wolf,
Part neither-- for his blood was cold.
Make sure you are clear on what "theme" means:
Then be sure to let us know what you
think, and someone here will give you feedback.
This poem is obviously about a shark, but I dont understand the theme. In my view there is no moral theme. It is basically about the behavior of a type of shark. Could you give me feedback?
The behavior of a shark is right, and the shark is behaving according to his nature, right?
What do you generally think of when you hear the term "Mother Nature"? Is she kind? Is she cruel? Does she care??
Here are some quotation about Nature. See if anything strikes you.
who is it behacing acording to nature. Isn't it created that way. All sharks of the species behave that way. How is the related to nature.
That IS nature. He behaves according to his nature, not anything humans try to make him do or not do, be or not be. He is simply himself, a shark, and he behaves in the nature of sharks.
There's nothing moral or immoral here -- I guess you could say the shark is "amoral" -- http://www.answers.com/amoral
I dobn't think it's about the shark really i think that a diver or somethign can see the shark and his actions form somewhere
Answer this Question
- English - can you help point out any stylistic devices in this poem? He seemed ...
- Choudhary - An open knife edge of mass 200g is dropped from hieght 5m on a ...
- English - What is the theme or message of the poem The Bull Moose by Alden ...
- English I - What is the theme of the poem, "The Road Not Taken"? I think the ...
- composition - I have to now for this unit write an essay about a literary essay'...
- English 10-Check/Help - Part 1: Poem Structure Check my following answers below...
- FINITE!!! - The Cutting Edge Knife Company manufacture paring knives and pocket ...
- English - For an essay for my honors English class, I am comparing the ...
- English - 'choose any of the motifs and complete a piece of creative writing in ...
- English - What is the theme of the poem, "The Road Not Taken"? I think the theme...