Exercise: Add an appropriate /transition word/ or phrase to connect the following pairs of sentences.
1. Our first destination is Ottawa /there/; we plan to visit Montreal and Quebec City.
2. Standing on the rocky ledge, we had an aerial view of the landscape. /As well/ we could see a fast-moving river winding its way through a valley.
3. Hamadi’s father is an excellent public speaker. /Likewise/, Hamadi had the ability to keep a crowd spellbound with his stories.
4. A train carrying toxic materials derailed near the city center. /As a result/, the people in that area were evacuated until everything was cleaned up.
5. Colette is in bed early most school nights. /In fact/, she is usually asleep by nine o’clock.
If the words between the slash marks are what you intend to insert, then I get what you're doing!
You need to re-think #s 1, 2 and 3. #s 4 and 5 read fine.