Posted by Krystal on Thursday, October 19, 2006 at 3:56am.
I'm having trouble with this question on arc length:
y=lnx, (squareroot)3/3 greater than or equal to x less than or equal to 1
It sounds as if you want the length of the y = ln x curve from
x = sqrt(3)/3 (0.57735..) to 1.
The formula for the arc length of a line y(x) is
Length = (INTEGRAL OF) sqrt [1 + (dy/dx)^2] dx
In your case dy/dx = 1/x
so Length = (INTEGRAL OF) sqrt [1 + 1/x^2] dx
Perform the integration between your indicated limits for the answer. I find the integration easier to perform by making the substitution u = 1/x. It's a bit messy.
I have sqrt [1 + 1/x^2] dx , I just don't know what to do next...
Make the substitutions 1/x = u and
dx = u^-2 du
Then the integral becomes
INTEGRAL -[sqrt(1 + u^2)]/u^2 du
According to my table of integrals, the indefinite integral is
[sqrt (1 + u^2)]/u - ln[u + sqrt (u^2 = 1)]
The second term can also be expressed as an arcsinh function.
Integrate that between the two values of u that correspond to your x limits.
Here's a useful site I use to check integrals:
integrals.wolfram. c o m
(delete the spaces)
That's the Wolfram integrator, which is actually Mathematica, a fairly good piece of software for finding anti-derivatives.
When I check sqrt(1 + 1/x^2) I got a slightly different anti-derivative, just thought I'd mention this.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - I already posted this, but wanted to say that I have the answers and it ...
- calculus - Consider the function f(x)=65x−cos(x)+2 on the interval 0 less ...
- math - State the null hypothesis, Ho, and the alternative hypothesis, Ha, that ...
- apex geometry - Hannah constructed two similar circles as seen in the image ...
- math inequalities please check - A landscape designer has to design a ...
- calculus - find the exact arc length of the curve: y=0.5(e^x + e^-x) for 0 is ...
- Calculus - Consider the function f(x)=6x-cos(x)+5 on the interval 0 is less than...
- Math - I'm having a hard time with graphing this problem. Could someone please ...
- Rational Inequality with Absolute Value - Here's a question I'm having trouble ...
- Algebra - What is the length of the interval of solutions to the inequality 1 ( ...