Posted by Faramir on Monday, September 25, 2006 at 7:08pm.
I know that standard form is Ax+By=C, but I'm not really sure how to do this problem. All help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
Write an equation for each line:
through (-1,3) and parallel to y=2x+1
I know that the slop will be 2 because it is parallel.
If m=2 then used the same equation for the point (-1,3)
Now find b
Finally write the equation
You can take it from here. I you don't get it, post it.
Thank-you. I got -1=b, but I'm not sure how to put it in standard form. Like what should be the A and B?
standar form is
you know m and you know b, that is all you need...
That's not standard form, that's slope-intercept form. Standard form is Ax+By=C
If you have the line in point-slope form
-mx+y=b will still be in the form
If you divided by B you'd have
(A/B)x+y=(C/B) so you should be able to see what the A, B and C are.
sorry about the time...if you still need to find the answer, try this:
If parallel to y=2x+1 it means they have the same slope m=2 and you know it goes thru point (-1,3) so 3=(2)(-1)+5 then
y=2x+5. all you need now is to put it in standard form. A and B are the coefficients of variables.
general form: -2x+y=5
find the equation of the line which has a slope of 3/4 and contains the point (0,3).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra 1 - Algebra 1 help please :( Use the point-slope from linear equation ...
- Algebra - I'm suppose to write an equation with the following information: Line ...
- algebra - given point slope form linear equation to use in answers y-3=3(x+ 1) a...
- Algebra - Write an equation in standard form (slope-intecept form) of the line ...
- Algebra II - Can you make sure my Algebra II work is correct? I've done the ...
- Algebra 1 ( bobpursley) - 1. Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the ...
- Algebra - i am having problems understanding.... i don't know how to put it so i...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Pre- Algebra - Given an equation of a line, how do I find equations for lines ...
- Math - 1. What is the equation in standard form of a perpendicular line that ...