posted by Lexxi on .
Can anyone give me an example of a metaphor??
I googled examples of metaphors. This is what I found by checking a couple links:
1) (political) fallout - "...political fallout from the scandal."
2) road map (to peace) - "Unfolding the road map to peace."
3) tidal wave - "A tidal wave of generousity."
4) fusion - "A fusion of technology and personality."
5) toxic gumbo - "New Orleans became filled with a toxic gumbo."
6) mix - "Sprite ReMix Aruba Jam."
7) catcher's mitt - "The Gulf Coast is a catcher's mitt for hurricanes."
8) iPod - "I've got a thousand songs in my iPod."
9) housing bubble - "The housing bubble has burst."
10) storm - "A storm of controversy."
These were supposed to be the top 10 metaphors of 2005.
WHAT THE PURPOSE OF REVIVING EDITING ACADEMIC PAPER
It might be helpful to you to know that a metaphor is a comparison.... but it doesn't use "like" or "as". Example: the room was a storm of activity.... her dress was a riot of color.... she was a puddle of tears.
In each case a comparison is being made, but you are not saying that it was "like a storm" or "like a riot". Metaphors are more colorful.