Posted by Maria on Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 7:24pm.
I'm not quite sure about these problems. I know how to do them, but it seems that I get the wrong answer. Maybe I'm supposed to get 'no solution' but I'm not sure. Could someone please help me with them?
first simplify it by dividing both sides by 5
Then check the intervals where
6-5x>0 then where 6-5x<0.
In other words, find where the expression in the absolute values is 0 and divide the interval into two parts there. Since the other 2 problems are similar I'll walk through the first one.
You should get
|6-5x|=3x-7 when you divide the 5's out. Then we look where
6-5x=0 which is 6/5
When x>6/5 the LHS(left hand side) is +. Setting
6-5x=3x-7 means 8x=13 or x=13/8
However, the RHS is positive when
X>7/3 so there is no solution when x>6/5
If x<6/5 then |6-5x|=3x-7
-6+5x=3x-7 , 2x=-1 and x=-1/2
Again, 3x-7>0 means x>7/3 so no solution here either.
You could also verify this by graphing too.
The LHS and RHS can sometimes be zero at the same time, so check the valuse that make them both 0 too. For this problem the LHS is 0 at 6/5 but the RHS isn't. Conclude no solution for this one.
- Algebra - shelly, Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 3:02am
- Algebra - tom, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 at 6:59pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - I do not understand what I am supposed to do: The problems reads: ...
- Chemistry - What volume of solution do you have if you know you dissolved 0....
- Algebra S.O.S - I've been working on this a while, and I thought I got it right...
- algebra - Can somebody please help me with these problems? Factor the expression...
- Math - What are the solution sets of the following 3 problems,the square root of...
- "EASY" Algebra - Im not sure how to do this. (5q^3)(-12q^-4n^4) So far what i ...
- Chemistry - I'm not quite sure what i'm doing wrong here: The Ksp for Ga(OH)3 = ...
- Algebra - Hi, here is a question and my answer I have done so far, not sure ...
- Algebra - I am supposed to simplify 28/4a^3 times 4a^5/21 times 3/49a^4. I just ...
- Math...Algebra :S - Hi, okay um. I'm trying to get his math question (Algebra :o...