Posted by ryan on Thursday, August 31, 2006 at 8:03pm.
here is what the teacher has.
Kim, Rachel,Jim,and Rick finished first, second, third and fourth in a motor bike race. if there numbers were 5, 17, 1, 7, use the following clues to find out who had what # and what order they finished. * 17 said she would have placed hodher if her bike had not stalled at the start *rick finished before 7 but after rachel * 1's father said he was very proud of his daughter finished * kim finished after 5 * jim wasnt third
"* 17 said she would have placed hodher if her bike had not stalled at the start"
tells us #17 is Kim or Rachel (assuming Kim is referring to a girls name here) and #17 was not 1st.
" *rick finished before 7 but after rachel"
tells us an order Rachel, Rick, #7, but it doesn't mean sequentially necessarily.
"* 1's father said he was very proud of his daughter finished *
tells us #1 is Kim or Rachel.
From (1) and (3) we know Kim and Rachel had #'s 1 and 17. Threrefore the boys had #'s 5 and 7. Since Rick is not 7 (from (2)), he's #5 and Jim is #7.
"* kim finished after 5"
tells us Kim is not 1st and #5 is not last.
"* jim wasnt third"
combined with (2) tells us Jim was last
I'll let you deduce some other conclusions. You should be able to see that neither boy was first and neither was Kim. Jim is not 3rd forces him to be last. Verify that the clues correspond to my summary.
Answer this Question
- Math - Rick rides 11 1/8 miles in an hour with his bike in second gear going ...
- math brain teaser - Here are you a brain teaser. You have to buy at least on of...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...
- Reiny (this was the one you helped me with) - I tried to explain it by using the...
- Geometry - The sum of four numbers is 771. The ratio of the first to the second ...
- Algebra - I'm not sure if anyone saw my question yesterday, but here it is again...
- Math - The average of 7 numbers is 30. the average of the first to the fourth ...
- Algebra - Four numbers have a total of 92. The first number is twice the second ...
- Math - Brett and Jim sign up for Memorial Day race in their town. There are two ...
- statistics - A horse race has 14 entries. Assuming that there are no ties, what ...