Posted by rahul on Friday, June 16, 2006 at 6:20am.
How to write a report on topic 'Internet'? Suggest report outline
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Here are some things to consider in writing a typical five-paragraph paper.
Five-Paragraph Essay Structure
The introductory paragraph begins with a general statement. This paragraph has the purpose of interesting the reader in your topic. It will also give a short history or statement of relevance. This will show the readers why the topic is of importance to them personally. The last sentence of the introduction is your thesis: a concise statement of what you are going to prove or explain. For the first paragraph, think of an inverted pyramid, from a general statement to the focus point, the thesis.
Before writing the middle paragraphs, think of three main ideas that will support your thesis statement. Each of these three main ideas will be the topic sentence of one of these paragraphs. Essentially, you are saying that if points A, B, and C are true, then my thesis statement is true.
In writing one of these middle (body) paragraphs, begin with the topic sentence. Then think of three pieces of supporting evidence that will prove that idea correct. Quotations, statistics, examples, and analogies are all good support. Then the last sentence of each paragraph is a discovery or conclusion that you can make based on the support. Make sure that you do not wander in your paragraph; stick to the topic sentence.
Use a transitional word to begin the third and fourth paragraphs. some examples of transitional words and phrases are these:
All these are a few of the ways to link the first idea to the second idea.
The final paragraph can be called the Big E: epiphany or discovery. Based on paragraphs, A, B, and C, what did you discover about your thesis or what kind of conclusion can you make? This paragraph is constructed from the specific to general. How might the discovery made here affect a larger venue, audience, or longer time?
The key to good five-paragraph essay writing is structural integrity. If every topic sentence is tied to the thesis, every paragraph discovery statement is tied to the conclusion, and every sentence inside a paragraph supports the topic sentence of that paragraph, then you will have a focused, well constructed paper. You should be able to read your paper backward or forward and see the logical progression of thought.
The second aspect of writing is much more subjective. You have to be in your paper. Your humor and your perspective will make the paper more interesting. Writing is an extremely personal mode of expression, not just stringing impressive words together.
Paradigm Online Writing Assistant
This website provides excellent assistance in writing various types of papers.
OWL at Purdue University
This website provides links to pages that explain all facets of the writing process.
SraJMcGin has given you excellent directions and websites to help with the writing of such a report.
If you need help on the topic itself, here's a good website, too:
(Broken Link Removed)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- language - I need to write a paragraph describing my utopian community. What is ...
- writing skills - 7. The best way to ensure parallel construction in your essay ...
- english - what is a Paragraph Rationale I assume a paragraph rationale is a ...
- introductory paragraph! - Is it better to go to college and be successful or ...
- Psychology - Jiskha Support Team, I am supposed to do a written assignment ...
- To Dylan - re English summer essay - I just reread your posts from this morning...
- English/Writing - 5. Choose one of the topics listed below and write a five-...
- com/155 - Describe your experience with credit and credit cards in a brief ...
- help please:) - Where will you find the thesis sentence in an introductory ...
- English - I need help with starting my essay. These are the organization of my ...