Posted by casandra on Monday, June 20, 2005 at 1:11am.
remon rented a sprayer and a genarator. On his first job, he used each peice of equipment for 6 hours at a total cost of $90. On his second job,he used the sprayer for 4 hours and the genarator for 8 hours at the cost of $100. what was the hourly cost of each peice of equipment?
We are trying to find the hourly cost of the sprayer and the hourly cost of the generator. These are unknown.
From the cost of the first job, we know that:
6 hours of sprayer use + 6 hours of generator use = $90
To find out what it would cost for 1 hour of sprayer use and 1 hour of generator use, divide both sides of the equation by 6. We get:
1 hour of sprayer use + 1 hour of generator use = $15
Now rearrange this equation to find out how much 1 hour of sprayer use costs:
1 hour of sprayer use = $15 - 1 hour of generator use
From the cost of the second job, we know that:
4 hours of sprayer use + 8 hours of generator use = $100
Subsitute in our equation for the cost of 1 hour of sprayer use:
4 x ($15 - 1 hour of generator use) + 8 hours of generator use = $100
Multiply this out:
$60 - 4 hours of generator use + 8 hours of generator use = $100
Solve the equation:
4 hours of generator use = $40
1 hour of generator use = $10
1 hour of sprayer use = $5
Hope this helps,
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Accounting - The Thompson Company uses activity-based costing to ...
- Math - John has two part time jobs. He works no more than 40 hours per week. He ...
- accounting - Plumley Ad Agency contracted with a company to prepare an ad ...
- algebra or algebra1 - A woman works two jobs, making 35 dollars per hour on the ...
- Algebra - Two plumbers received a job. At first, one of the plumbers worked ...
- math - A father can do a job in a certain number of hours. His son takes twice ...
- math - A library crew can shelve books in six hours. Another crew can do the job...
- Accounting - Please Help!!!! Trying to get a little help on working this ...
- Accounting - Trying to get a little help on working this accounting problem. ...
- Algebra - Thomas can do a job in 4 hours. Julia can do the same job in7 hours. ...