Posted by Michelle on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 at 7:10pm.
I need some help diagraming the sentence:
How can an art decay?
art | can decay
\an \ How
Please note in the above diagram that "How" modifies "can decay."
i need help distinguishing vebs from verbals (cont.)
i need help with distinguishing verb from verbals.
Verbs show action or state of being. The present and past participles of verbs need helping verbs. Examples of VERBS:
Joe IS WORKING for his dad this summer.
He HAS WORKED for him for the last two years.
ARE you THINKING about your future?
Verbals are present or past participles or infinitives. They act as nouns (gerunds and infinitives) or adjectives (participles) and do not show action. Verbals are not preceded by helping verbs.
Examples of VERBALS:
WORKING during the summer was a necessity for Joe. (Used as a gerund [noun], the subject of "was.")
WORKED to death, the slaves had a high mortality rate. (Used as a participle [adjective], modifying "slaves.")
THINKING about pizza made Katy hungry. (Used as a gerund, the subject of "was.")
This website has more information.
Thanks Ms. Sue.
I meant for the 'How' to modify 'can decay', but the spaces that I typed were omitted. That is also why the slanted \ lines aren't lined up, as they should be.
I thought that was what had happened. :-)
Drwls -- you are multi-talented -- from physics to geography to sentence diagramming! You're a one-man high school faculty!! LOL!
In this sentence, God brought Abraham to Canaan, a rich land inhabited by idolatrous people., What part of speech are the words Abraham, land, and people?
"Abraham" is a direct object (noun) of the verb "brought."
"Land" is an appositive (noun), defining "Canaan."
"People" is an object (noun) of the preposition "by."
where can i find examples of verbals?
Answer this Question
- chemistry - Write a partial decay series for Po-214 undergoing the following ...
- chem - Write a partial decay series for Rn-220 undergoing the following ...
- Algebra - What are some real-life examples of exponential decay? Please help me ...
- Biology - Help please! Do organic fertilizer products (in bags or sacks) decay ...
- Algebra - Determine if the equation y = 2^x represents exponential growth or ...
- Art - Art to inspire hope is called A.spiritual art. B.watercolor art. C....
- Art - Which exhibit would be the least likely choice for a museum s specializing...
- art -year8 - i need to design a renaissance outfit for art. please could someone...
- Western Civilization - need a good simple to understand resource to explain why ...
- Art - Could someone please give me some help with this question? What is an ...